Today I will give you to know some tips that should be done if our laptop suffer a fall or physical damage:
1. If not turned off, turn it off and check: turn off the computer completely if it is not turned off, look for external damage to housings, battery hinges, screws basis, screen etc, then shake to see if a loose piece sounds in.
NOTE: If something sounds in and later does not pass these tests, be sure that any parts are loose and need to open the laptop to reconnect or change / replace as appropriate.
2. Fans: Just after the external device monitoring, we have to turn the computer and check that the fans are running to boot and function normally, either taking or getting into air by function but there must be movement.
NOTE: If a fan does not work, try cleaning with compressed air (which will give way once more) and redo the test ... It is possible that some piece of plastic or something broken inside him has stuck, the compressed air will fix that. If that does not work you may have a kind of disconnection or other major problem that merits open the laptop to check what happened.
3. Display: Next, look at the screen is working, do not have cracks or dead pixels among other things. Check all feel normal in it.
NOTE: If the screen is damaged, use an HDMI or VGA cable to connect the computer to an external monitor and take your data and reformat the disk using it. Make a quote on how much it will cost to repair the display VS buy a new computer and do what's right for you.
4. Touchpad: Verify that the touchpad works and has intact all its functions (scroll, click, right-click, gestures etc) as you normally do.
NOTE: If it does not consider replacing it with a mouse or an external touchpad (like the Apple Magic Trackpad if applicable)
5. Inputs and components: Assuming the computer boots us the operating system without any problem, we will use all available inputs, ie, USB, SD, VGA, HDMI etc, and verify that work and there is interaction between the connecting components and S.O. Then we will review carefully the keyboard buttons on / off, wifi and others who have in the computer, making sure all play their role. It is also important to see that S.O. correctly recognize all features of the computer as processor, amount of RAM etc. Also connect headphones and microphones to verify that the sound card functions well.
NOTE: If some input or internal component does not work, you can consider replacing it with an external one. If you do not run multiple USB ports but one, you can buy a USB Hub. If it does not work the ethernet input, no USB ethernet cards, same for SD reader, sound card or wireless card, among other things. If your RAM is no longer recognized in full capacity, it is possible that one of the pins (or the entire card) has left (if the PC comes with 2) in this case would open and relocate the part where goes.
6. Drive (cd / dvd / bluray): try to operate both software and hardware our optical drive (we open both the SO and from the button) If all goes well we will verify that the laser is not shifted and we put a disc for testing, if no reading, it's win.
NOTE: If the unit does not open by software or hardware but respond to commands, it is possible that some piece / pieces of loose plastic Beech locked. We will have to force a clip or a small knife to open the unit and we open the blockage. If the order does not meet even its power cord disconnected and have to open to reconnect. If, however, it does respond and open but No reading or detection by the PC, then the data cable broke loose and have to reconnect our motherboard.
7. Speaker: We're going to you tube for example and open a video, if everything sounds good, no problems, it's win. The important thing is listening for strange things in the sound output too.
NOTE: If no sound or the audio sounds strange to some kind of "dirt" in that case we could consider buy us some external speakers for your computer. As in other cases, assess how affordable it is this repair VS solution for us and how comfortable we are with it.
8. Webcam and microphone: Make tests and verifies that both your webcam and microphone are intact (recording a video, use skye etc) make sure that the quality of both components is always the same as you had before the damage suffered.
NOTE: If the webcam and / or microphone do not work or have serious problems, consider change of external components that connect via USB for example.
9. Charging unit and battery charger is connected to the computer and verify that the equipment is charging, and we have to verify that the autonomy of the battery without the charger is still intact. it is important to verify that there are no physical damage to the battery, because if so we would have to change for our safety, the team and also to ensure proper operation.
NOTE: If the charging unit does not work, we would have to open the computer and verify that it is in place and has not been moved. In this case it would be better to call for service. If the battery change has problems (no autonomy without charger) it has to do with a displacement of the contact pads, and the same would have to relocate or ask the technician to do it.
10. Hard drive: We will have to force a thorough check errors on the hard disk of our computer to boot no matter what S.O. you're asking the computer to repair all errors for this task.
NOTE: If there is damage to the hard disk (revealed in the first test) is treatable and possibly the same diagnostic assistant that we use to repair it. If the test reveals S.M.A.R.T problems, in that case, consider immediately change the disk with either internal or external.
Good and one last tip it is that if the guarantee d his team is still valid can go where they bought to repair them or do they change teams.